About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Sunday 17 June 2012

A Vintage Picnic In the Garden of Eden

There are times when life hits a roadblock.  Recently, the downturn in health of a significant other has meant a trip to emergency, multiple blood transfusions and then daily visits to the hospital.  All of a sudden, yardsaling, home decor and writing about such things seem to fade away.  However, at the urging of said significant other, I did manage to go to a sale recently.  I have to admit that it was a very much needed stress release to get up, go saling and go to the hospital bursting with news of my find.  So what did I find?  I knew as soon as I saw it sitting underneath a table that it was a fabled vintage Redman picnic basket.


This basket is enormous, most definitely what could be termed a "family" picnic basket.  I opened it up and saw plastic cups, plates, vintage packages of plastic spoons and a vintage tablecloth.  It was as if time had passed it by.  I debated and debated the praticality of buying it.  How I loved it!  I loved it the more because everything you could possibly need for a picnic was in that basket and I just knew that it had seen many family outings full of summer sunshine and laughter.  But it was so very large and my home so very small.  And I thought of a certain person lying on a hospital bed who would surely scold me for making such a whimsical purchase. With regret and many backwards glances, I left it behind.


And yet, as you see, it is now with me.  I went off to the hospital with my regretful tale of the wondrous picnic basket that I left behind.  And what did the significant other say to me?  "I wish you had bought it.  Go back and get it."  And so I drove rather swiftly back, my heart in my mouth the whole way, thinking of the impossibility that it would still be there.


But it was.  And because the sale was winding down, I got it for 50% off.  I can't even describe my feelings when I went back and saw it there.  It was as if it was all meant to be and the basket was waiting patiently for me to find it and live days of sunshine filled joy again.


Remarkably, buried under the plastic cups and plates was the pie riser or shelf.  After all, a picnic isn't really a picnic without a pie.

And flowers of course.  And fresh berries.  After all, it is given that there will be beautiful flowers when picnicking in the Garden of Eden.



20 comments:

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

Love that picnic basket! Significant other was good to encourage you to go back and get it!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Glad you went back for that treasure. You will find many uses for it, travelling back and forth you could keep stuff you might just need in it handy. In the home for storage. Love the vignettes you made to go with the basket - and to get the pie stand too - awesome. I will say a prayer for your and your dear one and those who care for him in the hospital.

Heirloom treasures said...

It's so lovely I am so pleased you got it. Hope your other half gets well soon. xx

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

What a sweet story; some things are just meant to be! Hope the S.O. is well very soon. xoxo

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Hi, I saw your gorgeous picnic basket at a party and would like to invite you to show it at my Grill, BBQ and Picnic Party now until Thurs. night. Don't feel obligated but I would love it if you could come. Wow, you were lucky to find such a nice basket and at half price. The pie shelf makes it extra special. -----------Shannon

chateau chic said...

That fabulous picnic basket was definitely meant for you. Bless your husband for telling you to go back and get it!
Mary Alice

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I love the picnic basket. I have one, but it's not as lovely as this one.

Bijou Sugar-Socks said...

this picnic basket was really meant for you :) a lovely find and i hope your significant other gets well soon so u two can have a little picnic and enjoy this beautiful basket :)

Unknown said...

I love a vintage pinic basket...you might want to stop by as I did a redo to a vintage one on my post.

Lynnie

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

First let me tell you the your "Hubby is in my Prayers"!!! and OH YES the basket was SUPPOSED to be yours! "It IS a wonderful find". I can NEVER pass up a picnic basket, AFTER ALL you "CAN STORE" things in them! I LOVE yours...My Post this week is KIND OF SIMILAR with a TRIP BACK to get what I LEFT BEHIND!
Prayers and Hugs,
Donna

karen@somewhatquirky said...

What a wonderful picnic basket! That pie riser is awesome, I wouldn't even have known that is what it was!
Hope all goes well at the hospital and that you guys are home where you belong soon..

DearHelenHartman said...

What a sweet tale to add to the joy of owning that wonderful find. It's the things we leave behind that we regret. I always think, if I can afford it and want it I buy it, I may have to give it away but every thrifter has something they didn't pick up that haunts them.

Connie@shabbyforsure said...

Hope all is well with you. Loved your story and I'm glad you ended up with the wonderful picnic basket...Connie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am so glad the picnic basket was waiting for you. Meant to be. It's wonderful and your vignettes are so pretty. Great story and I'm wishing you and you significant other a wonderful weekend.

JoKnows said...

I really hope your partner is well soon! I'm glad you treated yourself to that fabulous picnic basket. It is lovely and I adore how you styled everything. We should meet for a picnic! ;)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh, I am so happy that it was still there and 50% off...that's even better. Hop over today and grab my starfish featured button for your blog, yes, you have been featured at Nifty Thrifty Tuesday:)

Blessings,
Linda

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Little things mean a lot. I'm glad you got your darling basket!

Diann said...

What a wonderful picnic basket find! I am so glad you had a chance to do a little thrifting because it probably put a smile on your face finding this beauty. I am sorry for all the things you are going through. You are in my prayers. Thank you for sharing at TTF and have a fantastic day!

Michele said...

I hope your life settles down soon and you have a chance to use and enjoy that fabulous picnic basket. Great score!

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a blog it is! This webpage provides helpful information to
us, keep it up.

Also visit my page dakhal.in

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...