About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Thursday 24 November 2011

Snow Queen

With a certain degree of humility, I admit that I am a scaredy cat when it comes to spiders, creepy-crawlies and other forms of life with multitudinous legs, eyes and antennae.  What does this have to do home decor?  Well, there is a secondhand shop that I was curious to pay a visit.  The shop is a hoarder's dream or a hoarding nightmare, depending on which side of the fence one happens to be standing.  It was a home that had been turned into a junkshop.  There was scant lighting and, when I reached out to turn on some lights, I found that the switches were broken.  Items were perched precariously on top of each other right to the ceiling.  I could make out the vague forms of couches, coffee table and dining table under the mountainous mounds of clutter.  I attempted to pull out a vase piled several feet high on the couch and started an avalanche of junk towards me.  Horrified at the thought of my early demise buried under a landslide of dusty junk, I shoved the vase back with one hand and stopped the avalanche with the other hand.  Defeated and not a little unnerved by the cobwebs festooning the ceiling, I backed away.  Luckily, this tale ends happily as I spied a milk glass vase under the dining table.  I hugged it to me for dear life and ran for the door as if Cerberus was nipping at my feet.


I must say that this vase is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.  A half hour spent scraping off 60 years worth of dirt and the vase now glows in all of its snowy, queenly glory.  The opaque milkiness goes with any colour scheme and the clean Art Deco lines still look modern and fresh.



Best of all, the milky whiteness segues neatly into the frosty, silvery tones that I tend towards as the days grow colder and Christmas draws ever closer.



There is nothing like being surprised with a bunch of flowers from a certain someone, "just because", and the tall purple blooms with their white centers are the perfect counterfoil to the vase and to other twinkly delights.


There is nothing like thoughtful, kind deeds done "just because" and for which I am very grateful.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American friends.







11 comments:

Unknown said...

Your cobweb encounter was definitely worth it! How wonderful it looks all cleaned up, bright and sparkling...a real find!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the purple and white. Your vase looks great now.

Kathy said...

I feel the same way! So glad you were able to spot this beautiful milk glass vase - it is gorgeous!
Kathy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That is a beautiful vase! I am glad you did not get hurt in the process! I'm looking forward to my Christmas decorating this week. hugs, Linda

Ivy and Elephants said...

Your purple and white is just so elegant. Your pictures are just wonderful. I would love for you to link this wonderful post to our new linky party this week. Come by and link up.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

Oh, I can relate, I have been in junk shops just like that. I always wonder if they have any idea what they have in all those piles of stuff? Your vase is lovely so it was well worth your trouble.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. Have a great week!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty your purple and white is. Such a pretty vase.

The Charm of Home said...

Great find! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hello!

Fun stopping by! I was entertained reading your adventure at the secondhand shop! The vase you rescued is lovely. I love white!

Nice to meet you!
Kindly, Lorraine

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

So happy to see the beautiful milk glass vase you so bravely uncovered from the Munster House. I've been in a few of those places myself. They really make you work for your treasures, but well worth the effort.

Eclectically Vintage said...

I can see why you like my mercury glass owl - you have a little guy too! Love the white. Following along!
Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...