About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Friday 2 October 2020

Doable Day Trips from Toronto and Fall Harvest Apple Picking at Chudleigh's Farm

 It's Fall Harvest Time in Ontario.  I drove out to Chudleigh's Farm yesterday as my favourite apple in the world, the glorious Honeycrisp, was ready for picking.  It's been a good 20 years since I've been to Chudleigh's and after months of sheltering in place, I was READY!


The drive there took approximately an hour and was incredibly straightforward as it simply involved getting on a couple of highways and then exiting onto Regional Road 25 in Milton.  Masks are required except when picking apples.  You have to purchase your tickets online and specify a date and timeslot as the farm is practicing social distancing.


There have been many changes since I was last there 2 decades ago.  Back then, there was just a big barn at the front with a few long wooden tables and an assortment of jellies, jams and pies.  Now there is a petting zoo with llamas, goats and a jersey cow.  There were even 2 beautiful golden labrador retrievers in a pen which worried me.  I have never seen dogs in a zoo before!  Shouldn't they be following their human family around the farm? Am I missing something here? Do they get taken home at night after the crowds have left?  I'd like to know your thoughts on that.



There's a children's play area, various booths selling snacks and a bandstand.  It is a huge tourist operation now and not just a simple PYO farm.  The day was perfect, sunny but not too hot.  The grounds are lovely and it was wonderful viewing the fall foliage.



It truly was magical to get out of the city and be able to walk around in the fresh country air.  Obviously none of us can travel right now so this was the perfect alternative.  The added bonus is that as you are outdoors the entire time, it is very easy to social distance.   I can't believe I waited 20 years!  Hopefully, I will be back again next harvest season.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...