About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Come On In, Take A Seat

I have a confession to make that will shock all the semi-pro DIY'ers out there.  Before this year, I had never owned or operated a power tool!  Yes, never!  The impetus that, ultimately, changed this grievous state of affairs was a vintage table and set of 4 chairs that my father bought many years ago.  I was never very fond of it as it was a little too "country" for me and I secretly wanted something more "rock and roll".  Lately, I have grown more fond of it because it has so many memories of family dinners embedded in it.  And now that we are all grown and scattered to the four winds, this little set has found its home with me.  Do you have pieces that evoke such memories for you?  The problem was that the upholstery looked decidedly drab.  So I took the plunge, bought an electric staple gun after quizzing the clerk at Rona for 15 minutes, picked out a lovely retro-inspired fabric, new batting and set to work.  Here is a chair that's been recovered beside one that hasn't.

And yes, I emerged unscathed with my fingers intact.  While the table still remains its original humble self, it has a mighty secret.  Inside its belly is cunningly concealed an extra leaf that swings up and out so that the table can seat 6.  How clever is that?

Do you think I should repaint the set or keep it the original duck egg blue?  The paint work is in fairly good condition but it is obvious that the set has been well enjoyed and has come by its "distressing" honestly.  Should I paint it white?  Or go for modern glam black?  Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
I admit that I had so much fun with my staple gun  that, after I was done, I wanted to run around the house stapling everything!  Now I know why the boys love their tools so much!


I think this little country table and chairs is ready for another twenty years of memories, don't you?

I'm linking up to  A Beach CottageFree Pretty Things, The Shabby Chic Cottage , Simple Home Life, Serenity NowMy Romantic Home and Diy By Design.


11 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well congratulations on a beautiful job! I see we come from the same school of tools. (I have one small hand sander.) I am awestruck by DIYers of which you are one. I'm really quite capable (potentially I mean), just no time at present. And of course inexperienced. Yes, your lovely table is ready for a long new life!

Anonymous said...

pretty

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

I really like the blue!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first DIY Staple Gun project. I love mine! It's so cool. Love the chair and table set. I am very sentimental about things myself. If you decide on painting it, I would choose the color that works best in your room and the feel you are going for. The fabric could work with white or black. The Glam Black sounds pretty cool to me.

Deanna@SentimentalRedo said...

I really like the blue as long as it goes well with your room. The upholstery looks really nice with it.

Jacqueline said...

The chairs look terrific! Love the gray fabric. I have a link party that starts tonight hope you will come join!

Sweet Lily said...

Wow! Wonderful!

Donna@My Sweet Things said...

I love your fabric choice! Great job. I changed out my dining chairs fabric last year and they are about to have another change. I love how easy and inexpensive can be to change up dining room design. I like the blue set just the way it is. A white table runner or mirror with tall candles down the center of the table would add light and bring out the white in your chairs. If you have extra chair fabric you can run that down the table middle for another change!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh these are perfection!!! WOW! I love what you created!!! You should be so proud of these treasures!
XO
Cindy

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your chairs look wonderful~ well done! :) I host a decorating party at my blog on the weekends if you would like to come share sometime! The link goes up on Thursdays :)

Dana said...

I love this fabric. Gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...