About L'Heure Bleue At Home

Shop Photo Gallery

Offers and Discount Codes

Thursday 22 December 2011

Christmas Decorexis

Have you heard of Decorexis?  I hadn't until I was flipping through a magazine and happened upon an article about this new modern affliction.  Apparently, symptoms include obsessive foofing, insistence on achieving the perfect decor, and refusal to invite friends over because the throw pillows don't work on the dated, tired looking couch.  Oh no!   I think I have Decorexis!  As I was decorating the Christmas tree, I began to feel a tad embarassed at my motley collection of vintage ornaments.  I soon realized to my chagrin that it was simply not possible to achieve a chic, colour coordinated tree with ornaments gathered over time.  With greater and greater gloom, I looked at photographs of staggeringly beautiful Christmas trees and wondrously decorated homes and thought to myself that my tarnished vintage ornaments and other hand me down pieces could never hold up to such loveliness. 


 Never mind, I consoled myself.  Up onto the tree they go in all of their tarnished, mottled glory.


What matters is the memory of wrapping up warmly, going to the tree lot with a loved one, picking out the perfect one, all the while rubbing one's hands and stamping one's feet against the cold, the precarious, exciting ride home with the tree, and the careful setting up of the tree so that it stands up straight and proud while the room fills with the invigorating scent of pine.   Decorating it with old ornaments that only see the light of day once a year is like visiting with rarely seen good friends.


And, of course, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without jolly Santas.


Or, for that matter, angels, even if their wings are a bit askew and crumpled from being played with too many times.



Wishing all of my lovely readers and friends a Wonderful and Joyous Christmas!





5 comments:

Trisha said...

I love your vintage ornaments more than any fancy ones any day. You are right-the memories mean more! Merry Christmas to you!

~Trisha

Grannys Attic said...

The vintage ornaments bring so much joy to memories passed. Blessing the Christmas to you and your family, Vicky

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

I love the gathered over time old ornaments...they are like seeing our old friends again...yours are beautiful...as are the memories each one holds, I'm sure :)
Happy New year!
Big hugs,
Queenie
P.S. thanks for popping over, it's so nice to meet you :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how I love the old ornaments. I have the ones that were my mom's and I cherish them. Beautiful decor. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

farmhouse-story said...

oh, your vintage ornies are just charming--happy new year to you:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...